Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sony EP9ES Preamplifier/Digital Signal Processor


The Sony EP9ES is a preamplifier produced to manage only digital source material. Basically, what this means is that although this unit has a volume knob, it has no analogue inputs. It contains one coaxial input and four optical inputs. The menu is detailed and well thought out, although a little tricky to navigate. With all of that said, it is manageable and rewarding. It has several surround modes and effects. For my audition purposes I used only stereo with all tone controls bypassed.

Appearance
This unit resembles other home theater components produced at the time. It has the traditional style readout display and knobs. It is pleasing to look at, maintains a low profile, and visually fits in easily with other mainstream audio gear despite the "ES" at the end of its model number.

Audio
I own a Anthem AVM20 and it is a fantastic sounding unit, maybe one of the best. The EP9ES was able to deliver audio at the same level. In very few cases was I able to tell the difference between the two. They were just that close. The audio is clear, warm, detailed, smooth, and transparent. After aquiring this little gem, I'm reluctant to give it up. Only because I have the Anthem AVM20 as my main unit, I am using the EP9ES as my computer preamplifier. I will emphasize; however, that if the AVM20 were to ever kick the bucket, I would have no reservation swapping this into its place. It is just that good.

Conclusion
For the $40.00 that I spent on this unit, I have to classify it as one of my most rewarding purchases of all time. It is a pleasure to hear my .FLAC format audio from my PC through my 10" full range drivers on the left and right of my monitor. I never go a day without loving this unit.

1 comment:

  1. It has several surround modes and effects. For my audition purposes I used only stereo with all tone controls bypassed.amplifikatör ilanları

    ReplyDelete